2/6/09

Pics of Eduard's latest Bf-109

Eduard has updated the pics of their latest 1/32 (isn't it their first kit in this scale?) Bf-109E-1. It's quite obvious that aviation scale modellers will like it. Especially knowing Hasegawa's 1/32 scale Bf-109G/K success.

Although Eduard's Bf-109E-1 kit has everything to outrun Hasegawa's Gustav/Kurfurst sales (photoetch and flamboyant decals) and also in terms of attention to details (check out those rivets!!), I still guess Czech manufacturer lobbies interests of their home boys :) You know what I'm talking about? Quickboost, Aires, etc.

You see, the kit has magnificat engine and cockpit area, as shown on this pics:

Bf 109E-1 1/32Bf 109E-1 1/32The first thing that I would change (if leaving canopy left opened) is the seat itself. Actually speaking in defense of Eduard, none of the model kits (at least those I've seen) got early bf-109 seat shape and form right. None. Here's how the seat actually looked like:

early Bf-109 cockpit and seatearly Bf-109 cockpit and seatearly Bf-109 cockpit and seatearly Bf-109 cockpit and seatYou can see that the seat was deeper and little bit more "curvy" in outline. I guess here's a very good idea for next aftermarket replacement seat for "resin guys" ;) We have plenty of F-18 and F-16, etc. seats, but we still don't have a decent early modification Bf-109 seat! Take a look at Tamiya's 1/48 Bf-109E-3/4 kit seats and compare it with the original photos - I hope you understand me. Although, is it so critical in 1/48 scale? Especially if the canopy is closed :)

So, what's next? Next thing I'm not sure of are the kit wheels. I mean the form and, once again, the depth. You can see here that the disc too shallow and oversimplified:

And here's the photo of original early Bf-109 wheel and the disc:

Anyway, I guess it's too difficult to manufacture such details in plastic or am I wrong? On the other hand, it's a very good idea for the next aftermarket sales hit, isn't it? ;) For example, Ultracast makes beautiful wheels for early 109 Messerchmitts in 1/48 scale (although some rivetcounters may find its tread little bit overdone and too deep):

Ultracast resin Bf-109E wheels
Ultracast resin Bf-109E wheelsWell, those were just my 50 cents ;) But what are your thoughts and ideas about the kit? Anyway, just post your comments below.

4 comments:

Mike said...

I'm fairly new to aircraft modeling, and am eager to make my models accurate. You had some very nice photos of actual 109s, and I was just wondering what sources you use to get source photos. Websites? Books? Thanks.

Jook said...

Hi Mike! Thanx for commenting!

Well, first of all I would recommend getting Osprey modelling books (you can find my review here - http://plastic1.blogspot.com/2009/01/5-best-ww2-luftwaffe-aircraft-modelling.html ) For photo references online I use Falcon's Messerschmitt Bf 109 Hangar - http://www.messerschmitt-bf109.de

Feel free to comment or ask advices here.

Cheers!
Arseny aka Roxter

Mike said...

Thanks. I read your follow-up about the resin seat from ultracast. I live in the U.S., and can't seem to find a place to get one. Do you know of one?

Arseny said...

Mike, I bet Ultracast ships to the US as well.

Contact me: